Current time: 08-23-2017, 18:26 PM
How To? make my MyBB Forum show up on Google Search or other Search Engines ?
07-14-2012, 09:19 AM
make my MyBB Forum show up on Google Search or other Search Engines ?
Hi guys,

i realize that there are many many many posts about this sorta thing. I have read through some of them, but I got overwhelmed about the many things in there. I admit, I am not good with text instructions. I switched recently from vBulletin to MyBB.

On my previous vB board, I didn't had to worry about these things. All the search bots came as soon as the forum was running. I didn't had to worry about sitemap.xml or robots.txt, things worked fine without me needing to do anything in that regard.

However, now with MyBB i am lost and don't know what to do. Seems so many things to do, and I dont really get how.

What I have done so far.

- installed Google SEO plugin (no errors shown, should be ok)
- installed (just in case) the Sitemap generator plugin
- created a Google Webmaster Account and added my site

Things i never had to do before, and I had plenty of different forums over the years. From SMF, phpBB, vB, IPB etc. and I never had to worry about Search engines coming to my site. Until now. Sad

If someone could create the absolutel noob instructions for me how to proceed so the Search Engines pick up on my forum and that it shows up when someone searches for it, for example on Google, I would really greatly appreciate that.

As additional information I might add that my forum is in a subfolder of my domain and that a index.php in the domain's root folder is forwarding to that subfolder (not subdomain though!).

I just need some help to get that going. How come things like that must be done so "manually" in MyBB compared to other Softwares like vBulletin.

Thanks in advance. Sorry for being so noob. Sad

Wolfseye

Namecheap.com

07-14-2012, 13:56 PM
RE: make my MyBB Forum show up on Google Search or other Search Engines ?
What you've done is just fine. You just need to wait and keep posting content. Google won't crawl your site the minute it goes live. It takes time.

The contents of this section are hidden from your usergroup.

$10 Off any hostgator package - Coupon Code: The contents of this section are hidden from your usergroup.
25% Off any hostgator package - Coupon Code: The contents of this section are hidden from your usergroup.
$25 Off all reseller packages - Coupon Code: The contents of this section are hidden from your usergroup.

Namecheap.com

07-16-2012, 12:49 PM
Ok, that seems to work by now. Now a related Question if thats ok. I would like to prevent Search Bots from peaking into forum sections they are not supposed to enter. Same with the ACP. How do I do that exactly ?

Also, so far I managed to finally get Google to come to my site. Yahoo for example wasn't yet here at all. Do I need to do something special to make that happen as well ?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Wink

Cheers & thanks in advance.

Wolfseye

Namecheap.com

07-16-2012, 17:16 PM
1. For bots, google search "robots.txt", you'll get info on how to block bots in specific sections.

2. Submit your site to yahoo, bing, google etc.....

$10 Off any hostgator package - Coupon Code: The contents of this section are hidden from your usergroup.
25% Off any hostgator package - Coupon Code: The contents of this section are hidden from your usergroup.
$25 Off all reseller packages - Coupon Code: The contents of this section are hidden from your usergroup.

Namecheap.com

12-15-2012, 11:14 AM
Yeah Google is Lazy.

Don't Worry it will be in Google Search within few days!

Namecheap.com

01-04-2013, 21:07 PM
(07-14-2012 09:19 AM)Wolfseye Wrote:  The contents of this section are hidden from your usergroup.

Register
Robots.txt is more important than worrying about which Bots will visit, all bots ( good and bad ) will find you eventually, registering with the good ones, simply speeds the process up.

To set up a robots.txt file is as easy as using a word processor, you need to open a file editor, such as Coffee Mate (free) or Dreamweaver ( bank busting)
create a new file called robots.txt
at the top of the page enter the following

Code:

Register
Now you need to enter those files/pages you don't want the bots to crawl.

most of those you want to disallow will be found in your public_html file, look for the ones which you know contain personal or sensitive information.

Once you've done all that, save the file.

Then upload via ftp to your root directory, this is normally public_html, but can be in a sub folder, depending on your URL.

SEO
SEO ( Search Engine Optimisation) is a minefield, you will get 100 different answers off 100 people to the same question, as Echo said "Content is King", make it unique, make it informative. Next is backlinks, for Google ( google is king) they need to be contextual, and relevant, that is you get a better page rating if you backlink to and from places in the same genre.
Since the Penguin update, Google has changed how it ranks pages/sites, there is more emphasis now on quality and reliability of information, so backlinks from good sites are even more important, generally this means you need to get links from trusted sites, the best are .gov, .ed, plus blogs with a high ranking, and media sites, all this is not as easy as it sounds.
Next is traffic, traffic is a guide to popularity, the more visits you get, the more popular Google and other engines think you are. however be aware that Google especially, can track how deep your visits go, most "traffic spammers" will only visit the index page and stay there for a max 15secs, this is called a bounce, if your bounce rate is too high, google will penalise you in your ranking.

I hope you are still with me on this, like I said SEO is a minefield, to get it right will cost you a fortune, if you don't have the money; you will need to rely on gut instinct, and keywords.

Namecheap.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  i keep getting this in my forum polopolo 1 271 11-18-2016 20:49 PM
Last Post: polopolo
  How to make website show up in google like this xecutorfifty 1 1,541 10-23-2014 05:18 AM
Last Post: AnaaR_Ka_JuiCe
  [Error Message] Forum Off wcampos 20 4,314 08-11-2013 16:33 PM
Last Post: nebulos
  [How To?] to make time after shouts manojworlds 4 1,576 05-26-2013 12:43 PM
Last Post: manojworlds
  How to Hide Subforums mybb 1.6.10 marcus1234 1 1,414 05-09-2013 21:20 PM
Last Post: Echo

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)