Current time: 08-18-2017, 15:32 PM
General Why do coders still use .gifs
01-12-2013, 14:01 PM
Why do coders still use .gifs
The question is in the title really, and it's one that shouldn't be asked, jpg and png are much better formats for images, so why do people who write themes still insist on using the gif format for static images, they wouldn't use bmp, gif's are just as bad, can we atart a movement to force theme authors to use png please !!

Namecheap.com

01-12-2013, 14:06 PM
RE: Why do coders still use .gifs
Gifs are small in size and load faster, as opposed to .png which are greater in size and take longer to load. Although most people now-a-days have fairly good internet connections so as far as icons go, I say use jpg or png.

The contents of this section are hidden from your usergroup.

$10 Off any hostgator package - Coupon Code: The contents of this section are hidden from your usergroup.
25% Off any hostgator package - Coupon Code: The contents of this section are hidden from your usergroup.
$25 Off all reseller packages - Coupon Code: The contents of this section are hidden from your usergroup.

Namecheap.com

01-12-2013, 14:32 PM
(01-12-2013 14:06 PM)Echo Wrote:  The contents of this section are hidden from your usergroup.

Register
I agree, I'm trying to clean up my images at the moment, but can't for the life of me find all the links for them in the CSS or templates, with out that I'm stuck with gifs !

Is there a definitive list anywhere that tells you where the different icons are called from ?

Namecheap.com

01-12-2013, 14:48 PM
The could be in templates or in css, it just depends. If you cant find specific icons post a screenshot of the icon here and I'll find the location for you.

$10 Off any hostgator package - Coupon Code: The contents of this section are hidden from your usergroup.
25% Off any hostgator package - Coupon Code: The contents of this section are hidden from your usergroup.
$25 Off all reseller packages - Coupon Code: The contents of this section are hidden from your usergroup.

Namecheap.com

01-12-2013, 14:53 PM
(01-12-2013 14:48 PM)Echo Wrote:  The contents of this section are hidden from your usergroup.

RegisterThe one I'm having trouble with at the moment are

Category Icons :
On.gif
Off.gif
Offlocked.gif

Forum Icons
dot_hot*.*

etc

Namecheap.com

01-12-2013, 14:55 PM
They are in /jscripts/general.js

Namecheap.com

01-12-2013, 15:01 PM
(01-12-2013 14:55 PM)Echo Wrote:  The contents of this section are hidden from your usergroup.

Register

Why are things always where you've never looked ? Big Grin

I'll get the hang of this mybb one day !!

Namecheap.com

01-12-2013, 15:13 PM
Hahah, I know its pure crazy Big Grin

Namecheap.com

03-27-2013, 04:21 AM
to be honest i use .png with all my themes (and admin theme)

reason? well i like it more ( specially with quality )

and sure it takes a bit longer to load up but hey since when do people have slow connections anyways.

Namecheap.com

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)